Wednesday, October 10, 2012

[diy] mustache welcome mat.

I was trolling through Urban Outfitter's online rug selection when I stumbled upon a very cool beige woven cotton rug decked out in mustache glory. Why hello, Mr. Mustache floor rug, come live by my front door. What?! Indoor use only! Well, that's no good to me. But you, Mr. Mustache rug, gave me an idea to transform my outdoor welcome mat into mustache awesomeness. Here's what you'll need:

* Welcome Mat
* Duck Tape
* Regular Tape
* Scissors
* 8 x 11 Paper
* Stencil Blanks
* Can of Spray Paint in Almond
* Acrylic Paint in Black
* Paintbrush (preferably one with stiff hairs)

Simply find a mustache on the web and blow it up in Photoshop. Your giant mustache won't fit whole on a 8 x 11. That's okay. You'll only need half the mustache. So try to fit half of your giant mustache on a 8 x 11. Print and cut out. Now you have a template for the other half of the mustache. Trace your half-stache onto another 8 x 11 then cut that out. Once you have both halves done, tape them together for a complete mustache. 

Or you could skip all that and free-hand your own 'stache.
Stencil time! You can use any size of stencil blanks, bigger the better, but I had these already. I simply taped the two stencil blanks together and voila! Got myself one giant stencil blank.

Take your paper mustache template and trace that onto your stencil blank. Cut out. 
To keep your mustache stencil in place on your welcome mat, you will need this bad boy:
This stuff if awesome. Spray one side of your mustache stencil with the adhesive spray and slap it onto your welcome mat. That mustache ain't going nowhere. FYI: If you're using an old welcome mat, be sure to give it a good vacuuming before you try to adhere/paint anything!
So now we tape up the borders of the mat with duck tape. We don't want to get paint on those! 
Are we all taped up? Good! We are ready to spray paint away!
As you can see, one coat of spray paint is not enough. Actually a whole can of spray paint is not enough. I ended up using 1 and 1/2 cans of spray paint! I then paintbrushed the tan outdoor acrylic paint over the spray paint because I wanted a darker beige color. I'm not sure if you can skip the spray paint portion and go straight into paintbrushing the tan outdoor acrylic paint. But if you do, let me know how it goes!
After achieving the desired beige color, lift up the mustache stencil. We gotta touch up what's underneath there with some black acrylic paint! 
Desired beige color? Check! Mustache all touched up with black paint? Check! 

Let's remove the duck tape from the borders!
I'd love to stay and chat, but I really mustache. ;-)

besos ... jin.

{Pictures by Jin Chu Ferrer of Contradiction of Sorts.}

2 comments:

Blogging tips