Sunday, September 29, 2013

vancouver eats // cafe medina.

vancouver eats // cafe medina.
vancouver eats // cafe medina.
vancouver eats // cafe medina.
vancouver eats // cafe medina.
vancouver eats // cafe medina.
vancouver eats // cafe medina.
vancouver eats // cafe medina.
vancouver eats // cafe medina.
vancouver eats // cafe medina.
vancouver eats // cafe medina.
vancouver eats // cafe medina.
vancouver eats // cafe medina.
vancouver eats // cafe medina.
vancouver eats // cafe medina.

Testimonials of the best lavender latte popped up in the Pinterest universe a few months back, getting my coffee taste buds all tingly with excitement. Is it true? The very best?? It would be nice to finally get my lips on a perfect cup of one! It's not like I've spent all summer attempting to concoct a mind-blowing version, only to have most of them fail miserably. (This lavender flavoring business is a finicky art!) So now I've made it my mission to get to Cafe Medina if I ever find myself in Vancouver again.

Which I did. 2 weeks ago. Oh, sweet, sweet elixir. We finally meet!

Good espresso kick. Dash of milk. Hint of lavender. Smooth on the tongue. Subtle bitterness. No chemical aftertaste. More cowbell. Now that's some exceptional lavender latte! Perfect complement to my gigantor bowl of granola, fruit and yohgurt, which was the energy boost I needed without the crash. Surprisingly fulfilling, too. Even Vince's mini cast iron entree of Fricassé was also a gourmet treat, a culinary mastery of balancing light and heavy, rich and delicate. And honestly - who can say no to braised short ribs and grilled foccacia?

But it was the ambiance that sealed the deal for me. After waiting outside the cafe along with the hungry masses for 15 minutes, we were ushered pass the main dining area to a side door leading into a non-descript hallway. The journey continued pass the kitchen into a dark room, which led to another room. What welcomed us was an intimate setting perfect for candid chatter. Brick walls, exposed wood beams, tall ceilings, urban art, contemporary light fixtures. All squeezed into a small, private room. My favorite part: natural light flooding in from the 9-foot windows. Swoon.

Hidden gems just makes the food that much better, innit? Needless to say, I ate my brunch extra slow that morning. Cafe Medina, I kinda like you. I'm def hitting you up again the next time I'm in Vancouver! 

besos ... jin.

1 comment:

Blogging tips